Tuesday 11 May 2021

OH BOY! Quantum Leap's Sam Beckett fails to stop relegation from League One, no longer possessing Jonathan Mitchell.


BY football and paranormal correspondent "Throw In".

Few players have drawn Cobbler's fans ire this past season like goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell. 


The young Derby County goalkeeper frustrated supporters with a string of error laden performances. However Cobblers Scoops has received word that his unconvincing displays between the sticks, may have been the result of some cosmic interference.

Quantum Leap’s Dr Sam Beckett has been playing in goal for the Cobblers under the guise of Jonathan Mitchell, to try and save them from the drop to Sky Bet League 2.


“Like most leaps, I don’t know why I’m there until things really get going” the main character from the 90s sci fi hit explained. “I’d just finished doing a stint standing up against White Nationalists as part of the American Civil Rights movement. I leaped, and when I woke up I was picking up a backpass against Burton Albion!”

This particular mistake irritated most of the shoe army, but Sam reassured Cobblers Scoops it was an honest mistake. “This may be the 'swiss cheese' effect that leaping from person to person within my own lifetime has on my memory, but I don't recall ever watching a soccer game, and here I was playing in goal for the Northampton Cobblers, how would I know I wasn't meant to pick it up!?” 

Dr Beckett continued “then to top it all off, I was asking my best friend Al, what was going on and what I was meant to be doing, and Michael Bostwick smashed the ball really hard at me and scored. At one point I thought Al, who was sort of leaning on the post, was gonna clear it off the line, but as the ball drifted harmlessly through his chest I remembered he was a hologram that only I can see and hear."

Whilst boasting an impressive record of successful 'leaps' Dr Beckett has failed at least one other mission before failing to keep the Cobblers up. Whilst embodying a ferris wheel operator at Georgia's (USA) state fair in 1972, he forgot to screw a key bolt into the ride. This meant when he fired up the wheel,  it rolled away into a nearby ravine carrying 32 children on board. "The ferris wheel just got away from me" laughed Sam, "a bit like a few shots i've faced this season!"


Whilst Sam failed in keeping the Cobblers up he was still in good spirits. “I’ll always look back on my time at the PTS academy stadium fondly. We seemed to do OK against the teams above us but every time we lost against the teams around us Ziggy would report back that the odds weren't looking good for survival. Yes I didn’t keep the Cobblers up, but some tasks are too big, even for quantum leapers”.


Dr Sam Beckett is currently a showgirl in 1930’s New Orleans, tasked with stopping the murder of the city's Mayor. Jonathan Mitchell has returned to Derby County and doesn’t remember any of his loan spell. Steve Arnold, the other goalkeeper on Northampton Town's books this season has left the club to take up a new position with Starfleet as captain of the Starship Enterprise NX-01 in the 23rd century.

No comments:

Post a Comment